Pages

Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Garden Journal #1

I was bopping around this morning and visited Ginny at Small Things. I noticed she is starting an online garden journal for this year.

Perfect!

I chronicled my garden last year here. I love that this garden journal linky she is doing will force help me to become more deliberate in documenting my garden this year.


So here is the beginning of my 2012 Garden Journal. A little late, but that's ok!

Today is rather cold. However, by the end of the week we are supposed to be seeing temps in the 60's.

I do have plans to get outside and get some chicken poo into the gardens and rake out my strawberry patch.

I currently have a raised bed garden here. Frank is very good to me!

Here are my 2012 Garden start pictures:

THE STRAWBERRY PATCH
A patch of dirt carved out next to the pool. Rather sandy
and not much good for anything else.

THE BACK GARDEN BOXES
3 - 4'x8' boxes
2 - 3'x3' boxes
3 - pots for different variety of mints

 THE SIDE GARDEN BOXES
4 - 4'x16' boxes
Way down the front yard, we have more dirt - we had
to take down some dead/diseased trees.
I will be putting some rhubarb there from my mom.

 The garlic that I planted October 2011
 - given to me by my neighbor. I have never planted garlic before!
planted in one of the back boxes


 Frank let me get an indoor greenhouse. It was on incredible sale last fall. Hopefully that will help in corralling the starters here. Last year, we ended up purchasing most of our starters from the gardening/grain place next town over. They worked well. However, in the interest of keeping the cost of the garden down, I am hoping to start seeds this year.   

BACK GARDEN PLAN

 
SIDE GARDEN PLAN


SEED PLANTING PLAN

Hopefully I will be able to keep track of more than just an incredible harvest. All the hard work to get that harvest should be appreciated too, I think.

Am going to check on other's garden starts. Maybe I might end up changing the plan a little!


3 comments:

  1. Karen, Thanks for sharing this! I'm with you and think I may need a help little "help" with consistency in journaling my garden's progress this year (which I've not done in a systemized fashion before, but really want to do so this year). Thanks for the inspirations! Now I'm off to Ginny's. :)

    Blessings, ~Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just love your garden journaling! That is fantastic. I have yet to put my actual garden layout down on paper like that and by the looks of it you use the square foot method to :) Very nice! I'm popping over from ginnys and look forward to seeing your garden grow. I'm participating in her garden journal updates to :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. We just came in from looking-talking-planning the garden!! Your plans look fantastic, and inspiring... I just love plans like that- aren't gardens just so exciting? And strawberries, can't wait!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete

A New Start?

A test of sorts.....  I think I'm going to try something old-new.  It has been too many years since my last post. The world's differ...