so many cool things happened in the city in which I grew up?
Our American History program includes the book 'Shoes for Everyone'
the first week during the South American section. I opted to study South America at the end of the year. However, this book looked cool and seemed to flow well with the study of the Civil War time period. So we read this book about Jan Matzeliger and his machine that revolutionized the shoe industry. I had known Lynn, MA was the shoe capital during the 1800's, but it was cool to read a book about it. So, I decided to bring the kids to visit Nana and the Lynn Historical Museum to see what we could find about Mr. Matzeliger.
The museum had a great 'Ten-footer' which is a house 10 feet long and would be where a shoe maker wouldwork. There was a great display of shoe-makers with their tools as well.
Upstairs, we found the display on shoes!
And there was a picture of Jan Matzeliger with a copy of his patent
and an actual lasting machine. The lasts are the wooden forms which were used for stretching the leather around to nail to the bottom. My mom's dad (Grampy Elliott) actually worked for the United Shoe Machinery Corp which was the company formed as a result of this machine! Nana was telling the kiddos that she remembers as a child when Grampy Elliott would bring home old lasts and they would burn them in the fireplace! Here are Nathaniel and Isabel (the actual 2 studying this!) in front of the lasting machine.
Rather fascinating to have a book come to life, not only at the museum, but with the stories of Nana - very cool.
They had a great exhibit on General Electric, where Grampy (my dad) worked including an engine which was the area in which he worked:
![]() |
| my kids are so goofy! |
There was an exhibit on the history of Firefighters and a copy of the front page of the paper from the Great Fire of 81.... I remember that fire - only a couple blocks from my parents' home - scary.
All around, a fun trip to Nana's house - and we all (Mom and Nana included) learned some cool stuff.
Catherine had to take a picture of the end result according to Lucas:
Seems Boston rush hour traffic didn't bother him at all.
And we found out....
FLUFF is made in Lynn! Really? I didn't know that. How did I not know that?











No comments:
Post a Comment