Anyway - my parents are awesome.
How do I know this you ask. Well let me give you a good example.
My parents started a tradition about 13 years ago to have the birthday grandchild spend a couple days at Nana and Grampy's house for some spoiling. (I don't think the possibility that I would have 6 children and they would ultimately have 9 grandchildren to do this with crossed their minds.) The birthday child gets to spend the time - by her- or him-self and be brought out for birthday shopping and some cool game playing; Uno is always a favorite. Grampy takes the birthday child out with him for a breakfast at I-Hop (now a requirement, not a bonus) and run some errands. My sister and I remember my Dad doing this with us on our birthdays
Nathaniel's birthday was in December. Not a great time to go to the grandparents; not because it's Christmas time, but because that time of year, Grampy is never home, so no I-Hop breakfast. No I-Hop breakfast possibility, no visit.
My mom and I finally had a chance to go through the calendars and come up with a good time for a birthday visit. During that call, my mom told me that they were vinyl siding the house and repainting the trim, etc. So I casually mentioned that Nathaniel loves to build things and did I think Dad would want to go to the home improvement store with him and get some wood to rebuild the back gate that was falling apart? Sort of a special Grandfather/Grandson project.
So Mom took the hint and talked with Dad and Dad said, "Sure."
The day before the visit, I was talking with my mom on the phone and my Dad started yelling in the background "WHAT TIME ARE YOU GOING TO BE HERE TOMORROW?" I said I wasn't sure but probably around 11 or so.
Nathaniel had his battery packs for his tools all charged and ready to go.
Yesterday, we got a bit of a late start and didn't get to my mom's until almost noon. I think my Dad was a bit impatient. We got to the house and the wood was already laid out and the tools were plugged in and Daddy was waiting for us. As soon as we arrived, Dad put Nathaniel to work.
Now - a bit about my Dad. He is a great guy. A Shriner's clown who visits the burn hospital in the area to cheer up the children there. He participates in all the Shriner Circus' each year. He is the Grandpa that always has stickers and cards and lollipops for the grandchildren.
![]() |
| THE PROJECT |
![]() |
| MOM! STOP TAKING MY PICTURE |
![]() |
| KAREN: STOP TAKING HIS PICTURE AND INTERRUPTING |
![]() |
| SUPERVISING THE INSTALLATION |
Here's hoping Nathaniel is enjoying the rest of his stay there!
And next up: Lucas gets to go for his VERY FIRST Birthday sleep-over starting on his birthday in a couple weeks. I have started praying for my parents now.





No comments:
Post a Comment