Pages

Wednesday, May 4, 2011

How Does My Garden Grow?

um, not well!

I have sorely neglected working on my garden so far this year, much to the exasperation of my husband.

I am blessed with a huge garden. Frank has added on to it over the past 9 years. We started with one 4ft by 8ft .box at the back of the house the second spring we were here (we bought the house and I delivered #4 three weeks later and really didn't want to garden that first year).

We now have:

Four 4ft by 16ft boxes on the side yard:


looking from the back yard to the street
 and three 4ft by 8ft boxes, and two 3ft by 3ft boxes behind the house.


the original box we Frank made is the furthest right

(my children are so goofy!)
 This past weekend I got some plants to get started. Today, I finally got around to doing something with them.

I got 2 of the smaller boxes turned over and planted before the rains came.

lettuce and celery

kale and broccoli
I am using grass cuttings to mulch.

I think the rest of the space in the back of the house is going to be carrots, beets, parsnips, leaf lettuce and herbs.

I am thinking the side yard will have all the 'big' stuff:

tomatoes,
cherry tomatoes,
cucumbers,
green peppers,
banana peppers,
zucchini,
yellow squash,
butternut squash
and if I can find it;
acorn and spaghetti squash (cuz that will be fun).

Should be interesting to see what actually happens here!

I am looking forward to having a place to document what I actually get accomplished this year!

1 comment:

  1. Pumpkins are so much fun, or gourds, the kids love those, and then you can actually carve them for halloween ..........MUAH, xoxo

    ReplyDelete

A New Start?

A test of sorts.....  I think I'm going to try something old-new.  It has been too many years since my last post. The world's differ...