Pages

Wednesday, April 24, 2013

2013 Garden - the beginning

And so it begins....

Garden season

I am hoping to post fairly frequently so I can keep track of what we are getting done here. I know, I say that a lot: this time I really plan to do this. Ok, I really plan to do that for other things..... we shall see!

I do have to back up to Christmas to get a true idea of how cool this year's garden season is going to be. My mom gave me what was the best present for the year!

 This ratty looking book:

The part that made me cry: the inscription on the first page:

 
My Grampy was a fantastic gardener. I am hoping he will send his wisdom down to me from above!

Ok - back to the garden....

I am still working within the square-foot gardening ideology. It has worked well for us so far.

Here is the before the season pictures:
The side garden

The back garden
I had already tilled the first box in the 2nd picture. Actually, I decided to plant the whole box with carrots for canning so I conned got my husband to help me sift the whole 4x8 box so the carrots wouldn't keep bumping into rocks. Wow, was that tough.

Last week, I finally got the back beds finished and ready for planting. I found some kale plants that survived the destruction of my greenhouse in the last snow storm and transplanted them. I also found some carrots and got them moved as well. I planted 2 squares each of spinach and lettuce. I am hoping to plant those every 2-3 weeks to keep the food coming.

The carrot box. The first space is the transplanted
carrots

The two front center spaces have the 1st planting
of spinach and lettuce

the transplanted kale

my garlic!
I think we are off to a fairly good start, considering it is still getting cold here.

1 comment:

A New Start?

A test of sorts.....  I think I'm going to try something old-new.  It has been too many years since my last post. The world's differ...