I woke up this morning knowing I was going to be a bit busy: one daughter had a well-visit with the doctor at 10:30; another had the same at 3:30 and I had to get my mother-in-law from the next town over to the same doctor's office for blood work and a scheduled shot at 4:00.
Thanksgiving is Thursday.
Plimoth Plantation closes Sunday for the year.
I will NOT go there the weekend after Thanksgiving: we are spoiled and don't like the large crowds there.
So after explaining the English lesson to Nathaniel and Isabel, I informed them we were going to Plimoth Plantation between appointments today!
We finally got back from the doctor's office about 11:40am (after finding out Julianne had sprouted up a whopping 4 and one half inches since last year!).
We grabbed some food for lunch to eat in the car.
We hopped in the car.
We stopped for gas (a necessity for travel!).
We stopped to pick up a good friend on the way (also a necessity).
And to Plimoth Plantation we went:
![]() |
| going down to the village from the 'lookout tower' |
This house is actually the one before the house that belongs to a relative.
My parents are quite into genealogy. After a bit of research, my mom discovered she is a descendant of Isaac Allerton through his daughter Remember, also a Mayflower passenger.
We were quite pleased to discover it was not his house that had burned.
This picture above was taken in Isaac Allerton's house. This lady is his sister (I can't remember her name. Isabel thinks we need to bring a notebook next time so we don't forget anything anyone says to us. She is so smart.).
She was very helpful in showing us her cooking: parsnips cooked with wild onions and wild garlic to accompany the duck waiting on the table along with a sauce made from 'brush berries' (which my children recognized as cranberries) The house smelled delicious.
On our way to the Plantation, we discovered that Miss Paula had never visited here - a shame! The children were happy to show her around.
They were more happy to go to the Wampanoag Village.
A canoe was being hollowed out. More wood was needed for the fire. My children happily volunteered to look for some wood.
The gentleman in the previous pictures told the boys he had made the wood cup he was using. The boys think they should hollow out a piece of wood using fire at home. I don't think so.
As we had to get back home, we headed back to the lookout tower
![]() |
| checking out the cannon |
![]() |
| discussing how much fun we had and that we have to do it again next year when the Plantation reopens |
A beautiful afternoon!










Looks like a beautiful day. How do you get your photos up so quickly and beautifully?
ReplyDeleteMartianne - Catherine told me about picnik.com - can do collages there - look out world, I am getting fancy! LOL
ReplyDeleteHappy Thanksgiving!
Karen
I had a wonderful time....thanks for inviting. Miss Paula
ReplyDeleteOh, I am soooo jealous!! Looks like you had a wonderful time -- thanks for sharing!
ReplyDelete~Lisa