I made the decision to read Small Steps for Catholic Moms for one week (a small step, right?) and I have. Every night, I read the next day's page. And in the morning I read it again. And I start my day. And my days are, I think, better.This month's virtue is JOY.
Each day I read the words of wisdom on the pages of this marvelous book; but the words that stuck with me the most, that I chose to concentrate on this week have been from January 12:
"They are led and bound more by gentleness
than by force or harsh words."
St. Catherine of Siena
And so this past week I have really strived to not yell - even when calling someone from another location. And I have, mostly, succeeded. And it is HARD. The habit of yelling: in disappointment, anger, or frustration, because of anxiety, being late, or just because; is hard to overcome.
I have been taking a lot of 'deep breaths'. I have set the alarm on my cell phone (because I don't have a watch) to go off at 9am, noon, 3pm, and 6pm to remind me to stop and bring God to the front of my thoughts throughout the day, instead of just remembering Him when I wake and when I fall asleep.
I have failed - a couple times: spectacularly - but I remember to "take a deep breath" and apologize for yelling and try again. And I am reminded that all God wants from me is to keep trying. It is when I give up that I truly fail.
And I hope my home has a little more joy than before.
![]() |
| A rousing game of Parchese first thing in the morning! |
So I will try Small Steps for one more week..... join us?



It would have only been a failure if you had not redeemed the moment with an apology. That is a success!
ReplyDeleteThank you for sharing. I'm glad I'm not the only mom who struggles with not yelling. So often I yell out of laziness or exasperation. "PLEASE BRUSH YOUR TEETH NOW!" when a gentle but firm voice is all that is required.
ReplyDeleteLet us continue spreading the joy. God bless!