Pages

Wednesday, September 14, 2011

DIY: A Table's Tale

When we were married, many moons ago, we really didn't have any money. We furnished our house with used furniture and furniture from discount places. We did splurge on a brand-spanky-new bedroom set, but the rest, no splurging.

When I was expecting Catherine, 16 years ago, we bought a big square coffee table - 3 feet square! - for our living room from a scratch-and-dent section of a local furniture store. We paid $50 for this monstrosity.

After we re-did our family room 5 years ago, we put this table in the basement.

It was moved to the garage about 6 months ago after a mix-up with a family member we thought wanted the table.

I have been looking at this table and wondering what I could do with it.

I wonder no more......



I took a sander to the top this afternoon during our lunch break. I really wish I had taken a totally true 'before picture' so you could appreciate the colorful top we had. My children do love to paint!


Anyway, I decided that we needed a chalkboard table. Lucas is learning to write letters and numbers and I figured if he had his own table to write on - literally - he might be more inclined to interrupt lessons with the others a little less.

Plus, I didn't really think Frank would go for painting the living room wall with chalkboard paint.


I made a mess in the garage, but I think we might like this. And it was quite easy to do!

And it even has a drawer to hold the chalk and eraser!

Now to convince my son that we really need to wait the required 3 days to make sure the table is in writing order!

2 comments:

  1. That is great! So glad you found a purpose for your coffee table. It looks fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my ...that´s AWESOME !!!!!!!!!!! WHAT A FANTASTIC IDEA!!.Love and miss you all...hugs...Diana

    ReplyDelete

A New Start?

A test of sorts.....  I think I'm going to try something old-new.  It has been too many years since my last post. The world's differ...