Humility - an interesting word - a word that I have been pondering a lot the past few weeks. [And 'ponder' - isn't that another great word.] Dictionary.com defines humility as 'the quality or condition of being humble; modest opinion or estimate of one's own importance' - unfortuately, it also gives synonyms as lowliness, submissveness. Those words are probably part of the reason why humility is not a trait that is prized. And the opposite word given is pride - ahhhhhh, my downfall.
What does it mean to be humble? How can I practice humility without being false? I read somewhere (and I apologize to whomever it was that I cannot remember the source) that to be humble is to think of others at all times. This thought has resulted in some very intersting side-thoughts for me:
If I think of my children first, I will have more patience with their less than desirable behaviors. I will have to put aside my pride that someone will think I am not a good mom.
If I think of my husband first, I will be more understanding of his daily difficulties and his moods. I have to put aside my pride and not return grumpy moods as I am not the real target.
If I think of my visitors first, I won't worry about how my house looks and will spend time with my visitors and not spend the time picking up things. I need to put aside my pride that my housekeeping abilities are being judged and found lacking.
If I think of God first, I will realize it is NOT all about me. How many times have I thought "I can't do this anymore"? And how many times have I been right? I can't do it myself - I need God. After having this revelation I received this quote in my inbox:
God's words to St. Catherine of Sienna:
"You are she who is not,
and I am Who is."
I am thinking God has another thought for me to ponder: I NEED GOD
No comments:
Post a Comment