Pages

Sunday, September 2, 2018

Salesian Sunday: September 2



True devotion does better still. It not only does no injury to one's vocation or occupation, but on the contrary adorns and beautifies it. All kinds of precious stones take on greater luster when dipped into honey, each according to its color. So also every vocation becomes more agreeable when united with devotion. Care of one's family is rendered more peaceable, love of husband and wife more sincere, service of one's prince more faithful, and every type of employment more pleasant and agreeable.
Introduction to the Devout Life, Part 1, Ch 3

It has been a while since I sat and found a quote to ponder for the week. I found this quote in my book. Each time I read this book, I use a different color to underline certain parts and make notes. This quote is quite colorful.

Some of my notes from my book to keep in mind this coming week:

 * I do not have to be a Religious to be devout!
 * If my devotion takes me away from my vocation as wife and mother, it is not for me.
 * With the right devotion, I will be a better wife and mother.
 * I am unique and my devotion will be as well, don't think I have to do what everyone else does.
 * My devotions should enhance my vocation, not take away from it.

Basically, if I am participating in a devotion; ie: Praying the Rosary, Divine Mercy Chaplet, whatever. and I am interrupted and start screaming at my children to "leave me alone, can't you see I am praying?!" (um, yes, that may have been something that has happened before) I need to rethink something; either my devotion, my timing of the devotion or my actions.

I need to remember St Francis would stop writing in the middle of a word if interrupted to give his undivided attention to someone. I think I should be a bit more patient with interruptions from my children. 

And -  that is my goal this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment

A New Start?

A test of sorts.....  I think I'm going to try something old-new.  It has been too many years since my last post. The world's differ...